Monday 27 January 2014

Week #4 - POST SCMM

Writing about it, strikes me that almost a 10% of my training time for the 42km is over and things are taking shape slowly. I only got down to sitting with the coach (over some dahi-sev-puri) yesterday but I feel better having something concrete in place finally. The broad plan is to divide the next 38 weeks into

12 weeks of endurance building (very little mileage and focus on strengthening)
12 weeks of speed building (medium mileage and strength training to continue and at least one run of 30+km)
12 weeks of mileage and speed building (focus on increasing mileage and maintaining endurance – at least one 35K+ run)

The past week (post SCMM) the injuries have played a dominant role. The right hamstring, knee, calf and Achilles felt very stressed. A chat with Gladson (the Physio) went like this:

Me: I need to come over and see you
Gladson: Are you doing all the stretches I gave you?
Me: Ummm
Gladson: Don’t come and see me unless you have done what you are supposed to do.

So we were back to doing the 7-8 stretches he showed me combined with some nice massage with ‘The Stick’ that I picked up from the U.S (its fantastic – I highly recommend) – I gotta say that the aches and pains are reducing.

The mileage was as follows
Monday – In Mumbai (post SCMM so nothing done)
Tuesday – Travel back – nothing done.
Wed – 5 km run / walk and 11 km cycling
Thursday – 11 km cycling
Friday – 5.5 km running
Saturday – despite best efforts did nothing
Sunday – 10Km run walk (also got my daughters out for a 3k since they are registered for the Pinkathon 3 weeks away)

I have to add I have been ravenous after SCMM – hungry as a horse so eating less has really not been possible (especially since I eat because I am hungry and not because it is time to eat) but I was good in some ways. I found a way to substitute my chocolate cravings – I am hogging on peanut and til chikkis these days! I wish these were as easily available as Cadburys Dairy Milk!

Ah, and one more thing – I went on a spree to find myself a personal trainer, after my old trainer went back to his day job. So I met quite a few and hope to start with one from the 1 Feb onwards. Frankly I am quite appalled to see the quality of trainers out there – they understand nothing about sports, injuries and one was such a chatter-box that I wonder how much time he will actually spend training!!

This week, my focus will be no more than 2-3 runs in the 6km range and one long run. And weight loss attempt continues. This Friday will be my last day as a corporate slave. Looking forward to my newly found freedom and devoting the time to do whatever I please – in particular running training!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent..you are getting there..you should read the Research article that we published on the "Running and Fitness Coaching Education in India". Very useful guide to retaining a personal trainer for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that it is the easiest thing to find one - some come with their own agendas and lack of knowledge but I agree with you :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent ..... I like your training plan..... All the best ..... Happy Running & Happy S(Miles)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuel.. good luck for your Paris run :)

      Delete
  3. Great to see the progress and the intelligent plan for SCMM. Best wishes with your trainer and the stretches to remain injury free. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete